Through the eyes of Joshua…
Summer is here and you can expect the temperature to rise and the humidity to settle in. Here are a few tips to stay cool without relying too much on electricity:
- Drink plenty of water: Our body is composed of about 60% water. We sweat more when the temperature is hot - especially if you’re working or exercising in the heat. Drinking water helps replenish the fluids lost by excessive sweating.
- Keep still and quiet: It is important to maintain a calm and relaxed posture. Save the exercising and kinetic activities for the evening when the sun goes down and the air becomes cooler.
- Stay in the shade: You can read a book, sit down, or take a nap. When you move around, it makes your body temperature rise.
- Open the windows to let in a breeze: This allows the air inside to circulate and cool down. If insects are a problem, use screens to keep them out.
- Go swimming: Going swimming on a hot day is a great way to cool off. Head over to your nearest public swimming pool for a cool splash.
- Have a cold shower or bath: A cold shower or bath will instantly cool you off. You can also wrap damp towels around your body to help bring your temperature down.
- Use fans: Fans keep the air circulating and don't use as much energy as air conditioners. You can also produce a mini air-conditioning effect by placing a wet face cloth over the outer cage of the fan.
- Chew on ice cubes: It’s just like drinking water, only colder!
- Use a bag of ice: Place the bag on your forehead for approximately 30 minutes.
- Water spray bottle: If you go outside frequently, spray yourself with cold water from a spray bottle. It helps you stay cool and it feels good.