Through the eyes of Paula...
Everyone should consider adding plants to their house, since the addition of a plant purifies the air and makes you feel happier and calmer. Here are five plants to get you started as a plant owner and caregiver.
1. Rosemary, Sage, and Thyme: Owning herbs is an excellent idea, since they make the house look nice and you can eat them little by little. To plant these herbs successfully, buy seedlings, keep them in separate pots, and keep the soil moist.
2. Spider Plant: An all-time favourite houseplant, the spider plant is very successful at reproducing, and it is a good air freshener. It absorbs common pollutants to naturally detoxify your home. Buy one that has plenty of green foliage and no brown under the leaves.
3. Ficus: This plant has shiny leaves, and stems that can be braided for a pleasant aesthetic effect. This plant likes to be in bright light, and most varieties prefer several days of dry soil in between thorough watering.
4. Snake Plant: This plany is also known as mother-in-law’s tongue. It grows well in a range of lighting conditions, and the air and soil should be kept somewhat dry. Its leaves grow upright – some varieties have yellow or white edges – and it has small white flowers that bloom.
5. Jade Plant: Also called a “money tree” and thought to bring good luck, the jade plant has excellent longevity. It grows slowly and has thick, lush leaves and visually interesting branches. To water this plant, use the “drench and drain” method, which is to allow the soil to dry out before completely soaking the root system again.