Through the eyes of Paula...
Everyone knows that chocolate is a great treat to indulge in at any time of the year. For some excellent quality chocolates, here are five places in Toronto that provide delectable and fancy chocolate creations.
1. SOMA Chocolatemaker: With one location on King Street West and one in the Distillery District, SOMA offers a beautiful mix of chocolate goods. Their small-batch chocolate is made directly from the cacao bean; there is gelato, truffles, bars, classic drinking chocolate, chocolate tumbled nuts, and cookies. They are also experimenting with baked goods, but the chocolate will always be the main focus.
2. Stubbe Chocolates & Pastry: There's six generations' worth of chocolate knowledge behind every one of Stubbe's products, and many long-time customers who exclaim pleasure at the results. Choose from truffles, bonbons, chocolates, tortes, and pastries, or do one of their chocolate tastings and try them all. Stubbe Chocolate offers a range of truffles, cakes, and other chocolate delicacies. They also offer chocolate workshops for adults and children.
3. ChocoSol Traders: ChocoSol's creations have been a Toronto favourite since it opened about ten years ago. ChocoSol isn't just about making chocolate. Its philosophy is about community, social enterprise, and traditional methods. They stone grind their fair trade cacao beans, and use traditional methods of preparation. Their specialty is Xocolatl, or Mexican drinking chocolate, as well as their chocolate bars, which you can find at the St. Clair shop or many local farmers' markets and shops across the city. ChocoSol has 20 varieties of cacao in its kitchen, and their process results in an earthier chocolate with a lot more flavor.
4. The Chocolateria: This Roncesvalles shop is known for covering many different types of food in chocolate. Their best-known products are the chocolate covered potato chips, hot chocolate, and ice cream. They have an impressive selection of hand-rolled truffles as well. Core flavours like Dark Chocolate and Butter Rum are complimented with rotating seasonal and specialty varieties like Maple Bacon and Pumpkin. While all sweet treats in the shop, including the drool-worthy truffles, are made with premium and natural ingredients where possible, The Chocolateria is very conscious about keeping the prices accessible. Truffles are $1.40 a piece, and can be placed in a gift box.
5. Odile Chocolat: With exceptional European chocolate production built on owner Odile Chatelain's family traditions, the aptly named Odile makes the prettiest little chocolates. The menu includes truffles of many unique flavor combinations, candied fruit covered in chocolate, and an assortment of gift boxes. Odile sources organic, wild, and natural ingredients whenever possible and utilizes fair trade cocoa.